Tuesday 27 June 2017

Photoshoots: Tips for Makeup Artists.

Hi beauts
Yesterday I had my first ever photo shoot with a fellow makeup artist and Hijab Stylist here in Leicester at the Ibis hotel. Since I am trying to get the ball rolling for my freelance work, when the opportunity came to collaborate on a practise shoot I jumped at the chance, after all, theres no better way to promote your services .
Now, reading the title of this post you may think I am getting on my high horse, but believe me I am in no way claiming to be an expert at this, seeing as though it was my first ever time doing makeup at a shoot, I just wanted to share with you all some vital tips I picked up on the day and hopefully for those that are new to the industry like myself, some of these tips may come in handy.
So, without further ado (and further rambling!) I am going to jump straight into it. These are in no particular order.
Depending on how many models there are/what timings you have agreed on with the photographer etc, chances are it will be a long and intense day so comfortable clothes and shoes is a must. I initially opted for a cute little monochrome dress top from misguided but didn’t feel  it was suitable to work in and changed into something else. I was glad I did.  Again, heels are a total no no, you’ll be on your feet for most of the day, it will be hectic and you will be working to a tight deadline so the last thing you need is burning feet.
 Organise your kit the night before to make things easier on the day. Only take what you will be needing and using. Absolutely no point in taking everything and anything, you’ll not only be carrying excess luggage/weight but chances are you will be faffing around trying to find things.
Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the venue where the shoot is taking place to set up and grab a bite to eat. If you are anything like me, you will hardly be able to function on an empty stomach. Grab a drink (plenty of coffee in my case) and try sipping water at regular intervals.
 Confirm details with the photographer/stylist/person in charge prior to the shoot in order to avoid any misunderstandings on the day. This way you know what to expect, what you are required to do for the agreed incentive, be it money or professional images.
 Ensure you know what it in your kit. I’m not talking making a list of each and every item in there, but a mental note is good. If there is another makeup artist there working chances are things may get mixed up. No one wants to lose a Mac lippy you’ve spent long in investing or that favourite gel eyeliner. However do not be bitchy about it. You do not want to give them an impression that you are afraid they may steal or make them uncomfortable in any way.  Try to break the ice with the makeup artist before the makeup begins, it definitely helped me be less nervous and more at ease.
 Tidy as you go along. Having a clear tidy workspace will make life easy when working so you do not have to waste time looking for products or your favourite blending brush amongst the pile of mess you could have so easily avoided.
Before taking any pictures of the models makeup, ask if it is ok to and clarify where you will be posting it. The majority of them are very used to it and have no problem at all. I certainly wouldn’t want an image of me posted on Facebook without my consent.
 Be committed and be prepared to work under pressure. Leave important work and personal phone calls till after the shoot. It is nothing but disrupting and chances are the models will get frustrated from already sitting there with a stiff neck!
 Sanitise as you go along. I like to use my Sigma brush holder to put dirty brushes in so I do not cross contaminate. Don’t forget to use hand santiser if you are using your hands on somebody’s face.
And lastly, hygiene is a MUST! You’ll be getting close with whoever it is you are applying makeup/doing hair on so be sure to be odour aware. Underarm deodorants and mints are an absolute must!
So there you have it, all picked up on in one day! I will definitely be applying these tips for future photo shoots. Are there any tips you guys may have to add? Do leave them in the comment section below.
Until next time, love and lipstick. xxx

4 comments:

  1. I stumbled across this by mistake.. And glad I did. Keep up the good work. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! Thank you for your kind words. do stop by again! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fab detailed post! X

    Https:// whatglitterglosglosays.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete