Monday 16 July 2012

L'Oreal - Voluminous Carbon Black mascara review.

Ever since I started wearing 'proper' make up at the age of sixteen, I longed to find the perfect mascara and searched high and low for it. During my teens, I spent any pocket money I had left over going through tubes and tubes of Maybelline Great Lash, my first ever mascara, Rimmel 100% waterproof in black, as well as several other drugstore brands, however I still wasn't convinced that I had found the perfect brand and product.


Today, several years later, having perfected my make up application and knowledge a little, mascara to me is just as important. It remains an essential part of my make up kit and I never fail to leave the house without it. Not only does it accentuate my eyes and gives me an 'awake' look, but I quite like how the combination of perfectly groomed brows, a few coats of mascara and a dash of eyeliner is simply enough to walk out of the house with.


I realise the hype today is all over falsies and semi permanent eyelashes and I have tried both, girls all over favour this over mascara with some even adding it to their daily make up routine, call me old fashioned but nothing beats several coats of a good old mascara on your lashes.

Now, in no way I'm a boasting here but I have been blessed with naturally long eyelashes and have often been asked by people whether I am wearing false lashes. In fact, any mascara does the job with me, I find that using a good pair of eyelash curlers (Shu Uemura are known to be the best) but any good one will do, prior to applying any mascara works wonders.

But it was only after spending several pounds on Diorshow, Mac Zoomlash and Benefit Bad Gal mascaras that I decided to invest in  L'Oreal - Voluminous in Carbon Black. I have been using it for a while and I have never looked back. It is definitely one of my 'stranded on desert island' product. Here's why:


The carbon black pigments means it is blacker than black so if you are after thick, soft, glossy lashes then this is the one for you. I have been following the recommendations to discard my mascara after every three months and so must have gone through at least ten tubes of this. Over time, it still maintains its rich colour and does not turn ash grey or fade. Multiple coats can be applied depending on the look you are going for without it clumping and flaking, in fact I find that you get a good amount on with just the first stroke but you may need to wipe some off the rim at first as the product is quite 'wet'.  


The brush is of a good size, not too big or small and is great for holding a curl, although over time, throughout the day, you may find that the staying power is not as great as it was when you first applied it as it tends to dry out a little. Despite this, unless you find yourself rubbing your eyes excessively after a long tiring day, the mascara doesn't smudge at all unlike many I have used.





Another positive point about  L'Oreal - Voluminous mascara is that it does not smell funny. Ive had a few in the past who's smell almost resembled white spirit, even more so after a month where  it  definitely was ready for the dustbin, so I guess the good point is that it will not irritate your eyes. I find that it is also suitable for contact lens wearers and for those with sensitive eyes.


And the price? Well this retails at £8.49 at both Superdrug and Boots which will hardly break the bank so I guess it  can be considered affordable for most, particularly as it lasts a good few months without entirely drying out. In fact, to avoid this, many experts and MUA's recommend not to continuously pull the wand in and out of the tube as it traps air inside.







Now, the problem some may find with this is that it may be difficult to remove due to being highly pigmented. I suggest using good quality wipes such as Johnsons and Johnsons 4 in 1 which are designed to remove even the toughest of mascaras including waterproof. Another alternative is using a good eye make up remover  liquid and gently removing with cotton pads and a bud, but best of all, baby oil, not only does it successfully removes the mascara but also, it works great for conditioning your lashes and you are less likely to lose a few strands of lashes when doing so.

This mascara will definately be sticking with me for a while "Because its worth it", it is cheap, does its job and is definately worth buying. I may have finally found my perfect product and brand.

What is your favourite mascara and why?

xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment